Currently browsing...


Chimney Fire Safety Week

Posted on April 5th, 2018

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service are reminding people to make sure that their chimney is safe as part of National Chimney Fire Safety Week which runs from September 9 to 15.

Real fires create a warm and homely atmosphere but bring with them extra risks both from fire and carbon monoxide poisoning, but by taking a few extra precautions people can enjoy the glow of a real fire and make sure that they and their family stay safe.

Divisional Officer Neil Fenwick said: “Now as we head into autumn in the coming weeks many people will be lighting their fires for the first time in months, before they do that we recommend they carry out a few safety checks.

“First and foremost make sure that your chimney is clean and in good working order, this includes making sure that there are no cracks in the chimney and that it is clean of residue which could spark a fire, a blocked chimney can also cause a build-up of deadly carbon monoxide gas.” Read More

Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Posted on April 5th, 2018

A carbon monoxide build up is something that happens when heating appliances aren’t burning all of their fuel properly. This waste gas, as most people already know, can be dangerous and can needlessly shorten lives. While most people are aware that overexposure to carbon monoxide is hazardous, it is not as widely known that over time, low level exposure can be just as life threatening, particularly to the vulnerable such as young children and the elderly as sudden, high levels of exposure can. Carbon monoxide affects your red blood cells’ ability to get oxygen to the parts of your body that need it the most by bonding oxygen too tightly to the cells for them to let it go where it is required. Because of this, it is vital for yours and your loved ones’ wellbeing that you take all the precaution you can against carbon monoxide poisoning. Prevention, as the old adage goes, is better than cure. Read More